A risk factor is something that raises your chances of getting a health problem.
You can progress to ESRD with or without the factors listed below. The more you have, the greater your chances of getting it. Ask your doctor what you can do to lower your risk.
The risk of ESRD gets higher as you age. It is also higher in men.
Other factors that increase the chances of ESRD:
- Certain health problems such as diabetes or high blood pressure
- Kidney problems such as acute kidney injury, nephrotic syndrome, glomerulonephritis or kidney stones
- Black race
- Obesity as a teenager
- Certain medicines such as proton pump inhibitors for gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Problems with certain genes
- Some habits such as smoking or drug use
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Adrienne Carmack, MD
- Review Date: 07/2019 -
- Update Date: 07/18/2019 -