A risk factor is something that raises the chances of getting a health problem. A woman can get endometriosis with or without the ones listed below. The chances of getting it are greater in women who have many. Things that can raise the risk are:
The risk may be higher in women who:
- Had their period before age 10
- Have a cycle that is less than 28 days
- Have a period that lasts 5 to 6 days
Waiting to have children may raise the risk. Pregnancy hormones can slow or stop endometriosis.
Problems in the way the uterus was formed may cause blood flow issues. This can lead to endometriosis.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Elliot Levine, MD
- Review Date: 09/2019 -
- Update Date: 11/18/2019 -